Dirt Road Charm

Motherhood, Agriculture, and everything in between

Friday, November 9, 2012

Featured Farmer Friday: My Father

As I had posted last week I am starting a new series that will feature a farmer/rancher every Friday for a year.  This is a great way for all of you people out there that don't have the wonderful opportunity to meet and talk with these producers to get to know a little bit about them.  I thought it was appropriate to kick off this series with none other than my father!

 Not only a great father but a great grandpa as well!  He lets his grand kids do his hair :)

My father was blessed with 3 wonderful daughters and I am thankful everyday that he treated us like his boys.  We didn't hesitate to go out in the shop and help dad with machinery or field work.  My parents taught us at a young age that if you want something you have to work for it.  And that we did...when it came to raising fair animals we did it all.  My parents were not those that did all the work and we just grabbed the steer and led it into the ring.  Not judging those who do that I'm just saying I'm thankful that my parents showed us responsibility and hard work.  My father is a grain farmer and rotationally raises corn, soybeans, and wheat.

I learned so much by just following dad around.  From trips to the elevator to riding around in the tractor and learning how make crops grows.  One of my my hardest lessons learned was that hydraulic oil does NOT make a good tanning oil   My sister and I were on the back of the bean drill watching the seeds to make sure dad didn't run out because he was getting close to the end of the field.  Earlier that day dad had blew a hydraulic line and hydraulic oil went everywhere.  My sister and I thought that while we were out in the sun the "oil" would help make for great tanning.....not so much.  I'm pretty sure we had 2nd and 3rd degree burns on our shoulders and faces.  Those are the memories that I will never forget. 

While you have profitable years and not so profitable years these men and women keep going out year after year in hopes for a profitable year.  I thank my father (and mom) for raising me in the agriculture industry and creating a passion for the industry that gets stronger every year.

1 comment:

  1. I love this little behind-the-scenes look! Also, hydraulic oil Taysh? That's way ingenious, and I'm glad you guys didn't scar!

    ReplyDelete