Dirt Road Charm

Motherhood, Agriculture, and everything in between

Monday, October 10, 2011

Where's the beef?!

Recently I was at a friends house for a gathering and one of the women that was there came up to talk to me and in casual conversation she asked me what I did for a living.  I told her I worked in the cattle industry and she was just amazed that there were jobs like that out there.  I was so confused as to why she was so surprised.  It then dawned on me that growing up in the agricultural community I sometimes take for granted the knowledge that I have of the industry.  I mean if someone was talking about the IT world I probably would have the same look of confusion and surprise on my face as well.

I thought I will share some beef facts for all you out there that may not know that much about the cattle industry:
  • Nationally as of January 1, 2011 there are 92,582,000 head of cattle
  • Carcass weights have increased from 550 lbs to 825 lbs.  This is due to better genetics, nutrition, and management
  • With increased carcass weights we are able to feed more people per animal than before
  • Texas currently has the most cattle and calves than any other state with 13,300,000 head
  • 2.35 billion pounds of beef were shipped overseas in 2010
  • http://www.bamabeef.org/pdf/CattleFacts.pdf


Not only have we been able to produce more meat per animal with better genetics, nutrition, and management but we are also making the meat leaner with these improvements!  So go out and support your local farmers and ranchers and eat beef!  We LOVE BEEF!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment