Dirt Road Charm

Motherhood, Agriculture, and everything in between

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Cauliflower crust pizza to paleo brownies

I have been trying REALLY hard to eat healthier....not going to lie I get swayed easily.  I have been working out for what seems like FOREVER and see great results muscle wise but when it comes to the scale and my waistline I tend to see minimal results and if I do they don't last long.  What is the culprit you ask?  My diet!  Back in high school I would come home from basketball practice and pound a pizza or a group of us would go to Fazoli's (are they even around anymore?) after a game and have a breadstick eating contest.  I stayed that athletic shape all through high school no prob.  Then college came....dun dun dun....beer really does make you fat!

Anyway to the issue at hand.  Once I leave the gym I think I can come home and gorge myself and expect the same results....maybe in your teens but as I have gotten older I can tell you losing weight is NOT easy.  I have this lovely personal trainer/dietitian Michele who sends me food challenges and goes over my meals and yells at me alot.  I recommend her to everyone.  She rocks!  So I have really put my head to the grindstone lately to eat healthier and not cut corners.  I absolutely have a soft spot in my heart for pizza and could eat it every week but apparently it isn't the best choice.  Who knew?  I finally tried a cauliflower crust pizza...holy amazing.  Tastes just like regular pizza but without all the carbs from the dough...booya!!!  I was also craving some serious brownies and asked Michele if paleo brownies were a better option than regular...score! they were!!!  Now obviously a brownie is still a brownie so in moderation but a much better one since made with sweet potato!!

These recipes were a hit for me and I wanted to share because it is hard to find recipes that actually taste good when it comes to "healthy" so its nice to find tried and true.   Here you go and enjoy!!!!

Cauliflower Crust Pizza:  found the recipe at Hungry Healthy Girl
Prep time: Cook time: Total time:

Serves: 2
Low carb, low fat; yet delicious. Make pizza a healthfood!
Ingredients
  • ½ head cauliflower (about 2 cups riced)
  • 1 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon basil
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional, if you like less spice reduce to ½ teaspoon)
Instructions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 400° F.
  2. Prep a baking sheet or pizza stone. I would suggest a pizza baking sheet wit holes for a crisper crust.
  3. Remove the stems and leaves from your cauliflower and chop the florets into chunks. Add to a food processor or Vitamix and pulse until the texture is similar to rice.
  4. Place cauliflower “rice” in a microwave-safe bowl and cook for about 8 minutes.
  5. In a bowl combine the cooked cauliflower with all remaining ingredients.
  6. Spread and press dough out evenly over baking sheet (or stone) – about ¼ to ⅓ of an inch thick. The pizza should be about 9-10 inches in diameter.
  7. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the crust is golden, crispy on the edges and cooked through the middle.
  8. Remove the crust from the oven.
  9. Top with pizza sauce and toppings. Be careful not to add too many heavy toppings as you don’t want to weigh down the crust.
  10. Broil the pizza for about 5 minutes, or until the toppings are hot and the cheese is melted. Allow the pizza to cool for 2-3 minutes then cut and serve immediately
 

 Sweet Potato Paleo Brownie: found this recipe at My Paleo Life 
-Dessert Stalker also has some awesome paleo desserts!
 
Ingredients:
  • 4 oz Dark chocolate
  • 2 med Sweet Potatoes, boiled purple or red skinned firm fleshed
  • 1/4 cup Unpasteurized Local Honey
  • 3 Eggs
  • 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
  • 1 tbsp Vanilla
  • 1 tbsp Coconut Flour
  • 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
Method:
  1. Melt the dark chocolate in the coconut oil in either a double boiler, a steel or glass bowl over a pot of boiling water or in the microwave. I generally use the microwave at 30 second bursts , stir repeat until melted (usually in 1 1/2 minutes)
  2. Puree the sweet potato in a food processor until smooth, making sure there are no lumpy bits.
  3. Add in all of the other ingredients, and mix until very smooth and creamy.
  4. Transfer the batter to an oiled 8×8 or a 6×11 baking dish.
  5. Bake at 325 degrees for 35 – 40 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a wooden skewer into the middle and seeing if it comes out clean. If not cook for another 5 minutes and test again
Try them out and tell me what you think!!  If any of you have some healthy versions of some of your favorite foods do share!!!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out, girl! Glad you liked the pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These Sound Great! Going to have to try them. I also have a weakness for Pizza and Brownies. Thank You for sharing!

    ReplyDelete