While sitting here listening to the wind blow while tucked away in my warm house I would like to share some pretty cool things i created this holiday all thanks to Pinterest. Now I feel that most people have heard of Pinterest but if you have not you need to check it out HERE asap!!! It is a virtual pin board that has some of the most amazing things you can cook or make or buy. It is genius.
For our family Christmas this year we decided to have a pinterest Christmas and make each other things instead of buying them! Here is one of my favorite creations I found on Pinterest and made for my sister.
How cool is this coffee table? Now the link on pinterest takes you to an etsy page where they are selling these for $340 dollars!!! Here is a little secret....you can get these crates at Michaels and make this table for under $40!!
I also went to pinterest to get ideas to make food for all the different gatherings and here are some of the recipes I chose:
For Christmas morning I made this yummy potato bacon egg casserole. It was super easy. Layer shredded potatoes then bacon then cheese and layer again. Pour a couple eggs with milk over the top and bake at 350 for 50 min. voila!
And last but not least...the dessert. This was the most amazing dessert ever and it was SUPER easy which is always a bonus!! It is called Pumpkin Better than Sex Cake!
Photo and recipe courtesy of www.somethingswanky.com
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 small can pumpkin puree
- 1 - 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 - 8 oz. tub cool whip
- 1/2 bag Heath Bits
- Caramel Sundae Sauce
- Mix together the cake mix and the pumpkin puree (DO NOT add the other ingredients on the cake mix box).
- Pour batter into a well greased 9x13 baking dish. Bake at 350º according to the directions for a 9x13 cake on the cake mix box.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes after baking. Using the bottom of a wooden spoon, poke holes all over the top of the cake.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the cake, filling the holes. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Spread the cool whip over top of cake. Sprinkle on the heath bits, and drizzle caramel over top (just to your liking). Refrigerate for 3-4 hours, or overnight (best).
DO NOT USE PUMPKIN PIE FILLING. YOU MUST USE PUMPKIN PUREE IF YOU WANT THE CAKE TO BAKE CORRECTLY. The cake mix + pumpkin puree version of pumpkin cake may not be for everyone. I like it just fine, especially when it's soaked in SCM and caramel. But if you're not sure about it, feel free to substitute your own pumpkin cake recipe as the cake base. DO NOT mix together the pumpkin, cake mix, and the other ingredients on the back of the cake mix box!!!! ONLY mix the cake mix and the pumpkin puree. You must let the sweetened condensed milk soak in all the way. Letting it sit overnight will yield best results. Use the bottom of a wooden mixing spoon to poke the holes in the cake-- it's just the right size.
Try some of these out....you won't be disappointed!! What was your favorite thing Santa left you this year?