Dirt Road Charm

Motherhood, Agriculture, and everything in between

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

New York City.....a city that literally never sleeps...really!

New York City.....where do I start?  I traveled to NYC recently to attend theUS Farmers and Ranchers Alliance Food Dialogues which by the way was an incredible conference.  If any of you get the chance to attend one of these if they come close to you or if you're like me and like to travel then go travel to one!  It is so worth your time, but we will discuss that more later this week.  For now I would like to share with you a little of my trip.

I must say that the trip started off a little rocky.  I have been to Chicago approx 4,546,164,651 times (exaggeration? maybe a little).  I am lucky enough to have family that lives there so I get there quite frequently.  I have taken the train, taxi, been downtown, traveled out of both airports, so I figured NYC couldn't much different...right?  Well lets just say it was a little different.  I took my mother with me for a little mother daughter bonding time.  My mom is that cute little country bumpkin that enjoys her rural life and on occasion will make it into the big city.  I watched her eyes get pretty big on this trip.

We flew into Laguardia airport and as we were walking out there is a sign that SPECIFICALLY reads: If someone offers you a ride you probably shouldn't take it.  Dually noted we thought.  So we walk out the doors and a man is standing there and asks if we are needing a taxi...why yes we are.  So he directs us across the street close to the parking garage.  He comes walking over with another woman and leads us into the parking garage to this unmarked limo......we all start looking at each other thinking this may be a little sketchy.  Finally the other girl with us says "I'm from Chicago and I wouldn't even take this ride if I was at home.  This just doesn't seem right."  We then decided we will pass that proceeded by the man throwing a fit yelling at us saying "is this what a nice guy gets for just trying to help and be nice?"  Dodged a bullet there.

We meander back to the entrance to the airport and quickly see the taxi line....Duh.  So we get in line and the airport guy flags us a taxi.  The taxi driver pulls up, gets out of his taxi with his pants are undone and halfway down his legs......gross.  The airport guy starts yelling at him and sends him on his way shouthing "you sicko, these people don't want to ride with you, get out of here".  At this point my mothers eyes were quite wide and she looks at me and says "do you think we will make it home alive?"  Needless to say we finally got a nice taxi driver that safely got us to our hotel.  After that it was pretty smooth sailing....thankfully!!

Here is a review of our trip through pictures:

Who says there isn't any country in the city?
 
 The naked cowboy....he isn't really naked FYI

 The Lion King: this was by far the most amazing Broadway show I have ever seen.  I would suggest to everyone to go and see this.  I'm not sure how the traveling show is but the original here in NYC was beyond fabulous and left you in awe by the incredible costumes.  A must see!!!!



 The tree in Rockefeller Center.  I imagined this to be way bigger because it looks so big on TV but it really isn't.  Looks can be deceiving!


Restoration of the Cathedral


Times Square: this city really doesn't sleep.  We flew into NYC around midnight and there were a ton of people out and about.  When we were headed home we left the hotel around 4am and there were still a ton of people walking around!
 
Holy Heaven!  We ate lunch at Serendipity 3 and had there famous frozen hot chocolate.  It was beyond fabulous!  The food was amazing as well.  If you are in the city I would suggest it to all!

 Our last day in the city we hit 5th ave.  It reminded me a lot of Michigan Ave in Chicago.  I splurged on a gorgeous rose gold Micheal Kors watch and a lovely Tiffany & Co. necklace.
 
That was our trip in a nut shell.  It was a great experience.  I was pretty bummed that the statue of liberty was closed due to the hurricane but I guess that gives me a reason to go back right?

No comments:

Post a Comment