Dirt Road Charm

Motherhood, Agriculture, and everything in between

Sunday, January 8, 2012

cow's and women.....I tend to mix the two

With so many of my friends getting pregnant and having babies I thought I would share some info on the similarities and differences between cattle and humans with pregnancy.  Working in the cattle industry I see calvings and pregnancies ALL the time, I mean it's my job.  So I tend to mix the cattle repro when people are discussing human repro.  For example, when women talk about being cystic I don't understand why the doc doesn't just give them a shot of GnRh and go on with life?  That's what we do in cattle and it works like a charm!  These are questions I clearly am going to have to ask my doctor. 

But to share some similarities and differences here ya go.  Both cattle and humans go through 9 months of pregnancy.  Just like humans cattle are fed a specific ration to help maintain health and weight throughout pregnancy.  Most of the time it doesn't change as much until closer to calving.  As humans are expected to eat healthily to have a healthy baby and take your vitamins!!!  The repro tract of a cow and a human are also quite similar except for the uterine horns in a cow are quite a bit larger than the fallopian tubes in a woman.  I have added a diagram to show the difference.


As you can see in the picture the top is the females repro and the bottom the cows.  The uterus in the cows is much smaller than in a females.  Some of you may be curious as to why I am comparing the two but this is my life and I deal with the repro tract of a cow on a daily basis so I thought it would be interesting to share with some of you that have never seen or heard of the differences.  And with both cattle and humans they both love and nurture their babies.  Some cows even get pretty protective and defensive when you try to get close to their young....as I'm sure some females do as well :)

Well that is all for now.  I'm off to Denver this coming week for the National Western Stock Show so be prepared to get up to date info on what's going on out there and I will definitely be getting in some skiing!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment